Fundamental Aspects of Palliative Care
Registered nurses and allied health care professionals working in all health care settings
- Current registration with the appropriate professional healthcare registration body in Ireland
- Experience in a relevant health care discipline, working with patients requiring a palliative care approach
The aim of the programme is to enhance the knowledge, attitudes and skills of registered nurses and allied healthcare professionals on the fundamental aspects of palliative care and to explore their application to clinical practice to augment the quality of life for patients requiring palliative care and their families.
The programme topics include the philosophy and principles of palliative care; national developments in palliative care; the holistic palliative care approach; pain assessment and management; the assessment and management of the most common symtoms experienced by palliative care patients; therapeutic communication; palliative care emergencies; the use of the T34 syringe pump in the management of symtoms in palliative care.
The course content will be delivered by the education department and members of the multidisciplinary palliative care team using a variety of teaching strategies.
To enhance the knowledge, attitudes and skills to healthcare prefessionals on the fundamental aspects of palliative care and explore application to clinical practice to augment the qualityof life for patients receiving palliative care and their families.
- Analyse the philosophy and principles of palliative care and their application to clinical practice
- Discuss the assessment and management of pain and the more common symptoms experienced by palliative care patients
- Demonstrate the correct procedure to set up, administer and monitor a continuous subcutaneous infusion using the T34 Syringe Pump for the management of symptoms in palliative care patients.
- Value the imiportance of a holistic approach to care for the palliative patient and their family
- Identify the early recognition signs and symptoms of palliative care emergencies and discuss the management of same.
Certificate of attendance.
This programme also has 14 continuing education units from An Bord Altranais agus Cnáimhseachais na hÉireann (NMBI).
€200 which includes a Certificate of Attendance
Click here to access and download the course material
For further information please contact;
Expression of Interest to CNS Helen Leahy at firstname.lastname@example.org