Introduction to Palliative Care for Health Care Assistants
One day programme
Programme Dates 2020
CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19 PANDEMIC
Marymount University Hospital & Hospital
All health care assistants working in acute hospitals, community hospitals and nursing homes.
Level 5 QQI
This one day programme has been developed by staff from the education centre & the clinical area of Marymount University Hospital & Hospice. The programme has been specifically designed for health care assistants using the palliative care competency framework. The aim of the programme is to develop the knowledge, attitudes & skills of health care assistants in the area of palliative care.
To enhance the knowledge, attitudes and skills of healthcare assistants in the area of palliative care as part of their continuing professional development.
- Understand the main components of the philosophy of a palliative care approach.
- Explain the terms used in palliative care
- Provide an outline of hte organisation of palliative care services in Ireland
- Discuss the principles of palliative care and their application to clinical practice.
- Appreciate the role of the healthcare assistant in providing holistic care to patients and their families
- Understand the importance of sensitive communication with palliative patients and their families.
- Discuss spirituality and the role of the healthcare assistant in providing spiritual care.
- Discuss the role of the Healthcare Assistant in assisting the Registered Nurse assess and manage the more common symptoms experienced by palliative care patients.
- Examine the role of the healthcare assistant in providing psychosocial support to patients and families.
- Appreciate the importance of caring for self as a health carer.
The fee for the one day programme is €85 which includes photocopying and light refreshments for morning break. Lunch is not included but there is a canteen on site.
For further information please contact:
Marymount University Hospital & Hospice | Tel: 021 4869100 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org