Introduction to Palliative Care for Health Care Assistants
One day programme
Programme Dates 2018:
- 15th October
- 12th December
Programme Dates 2019:
- 1st March 2019
- 14th June 2019
This one day programme has been developed by staff from the education centre & the clinical area of Marymount University Hospital & Hospice. The programme has been specifically designed for health care assistants using the palliative care competency framework. The aim of the programme is to develop the knowledge, attitudes & skills of health care assistants in the area of palliative care.
- Understand the main components of the palliative care approach.
- Discuss the principles of palliative care and their application to clinical practice.
- Appreciate the role of the healthcare assistant in providing holistic care to patients and their families
- Understand the importance of sensitive communication with palliative patients and their families.
- Discuss spirituality and the role of the healthcare assistant in providing spiritual care.
- Discuss the role of the Healthcare Assistant in assisting the Registered Nurse assess and manage the more common symptoms experienced by palliative care patients.
- Examine the role of the healthcare assistant in providing psychosocial support to patients and families.
- Appreciate the importance of caring for self as a health carer.
All health care assistants working in acute hospitals, community hospitals and nursing homes.
- Introduction to palliative care philosophy & principles
- Role of the health care assistants in symptom management
- Communication in palliative care
- Spirituality in palliative care
- Psychosocial issues in palliative care
- Caring for self
One of the advantages of this programme is that it is facilitated by education and clinical staff of Marymount University Hospital & Hospice. The facilitators have worked in palliative care for many years and have gained invaluable knowledge and experience in this area.
The fee for the one day programme is €85 which includes photocopying and light refreshments for morning break. Lunch is not included but there is a canteen on site.
Download the completed application form and return with fee and 2 signed passport photographs to Education Administrator, Marymount University Hospital & Hospice, Curraheen, Cork.
For further information please contact:
Michelle Cullen | Education Administrator | Tel: 021 4501201 ext: 277 | Email: email@example.com